Valley Hill Baptist Church was founded in 1908. Since then our pulpit has been shared by many pastors, but the message has remained the same for over a century.
Our Church History
VALLEY HILL BAPTIST CHURCH began in 1908 when some people in the area realized the need for a Baptist Church in their community. The group of interested people included Mr. and Mrs. John L. Redden, Mr. and Mrs. James Jackson, Mr. and Mrs. Ben Smith, Frank Mintz, Jerome Bryant, Sewell Blythe, Mrs. C. A Mintz and the Rev. William A. Morris, fondly called Uncle Billy.
Ficker School House was ·used until 1919 when a one room church building was completed. The Sunday School was so large that the school house was used for educational space until two large classrooms and a vestibule were added.
At first worship services were, held only once each month on Saturdays so that both business and worship could be conducted; but Sunday School met weekly with an average attendance of between 45 and 50. The average offering was $2.50 per week.
The preacher usually came on Friday and spent the night with a church member. Most of his pay was in gifts of clothing, produce, canned goods and an annual pounding at Christmas. The first pastor was W. A. Morris. The. first choir director was Luther Kilpatrick and the first organist was Julia Redden.
In 1938 a full basement was added for classrooms. The building committee consisted of D. H. Kilpatrick, Cecil Stepp and Frank Mintz. In 1949 a pastorium with three bedrooms was built on Stepp Street. The property was bought from M. B. Jackson. The debt was paid off in June, 1952.
Ground was broken for a modern brick church building on October 29, 1961. Vester Blanton was pastor at that time. D. H. Kilpatrick and M. B. Jackson took part in the service as the two eldest members. George Johnson was chair of the building committee. A fire in the old building caused a more intense effort to complete the new structure. During the interval, the Valley Hill Elementary School building was used. By June, 1963, the classrooms and fellowship hall were ready. for use. The first worship service m the new sanctuary was conducted November 10, 1963.
The list of pastors include: W. A. Morris, Lynch Brookshire, C. D. Cole, T. C. Holtzclaw, Sam Huntley, C. E. Blythe, R R. Mehaffey (three times), Bayle Rogers, A. G. Sargon, Walter Holtzclaw, Joe Mason, E. A. Kilstrom, Thomas Thompson, Walter McGuire, Jyles Hall, Allard Garren, Paul Lovingood, J. C. Canipe, Lloyd Mauney, Vester Blanton, C. H. Green, Charles Middleton, James R. Byrd, Sam Gore and Kenny Corn who became pastor in 1993.
W. A. Morris
C. D. Cole
T. C. Holtzclaw
C. E. Blythe
R. R. Mehaffey
A. G. Sargon
R. R. Mehaffey
R. R. Mehaffey
E. A. Kilstrom
J. C. Canipe
C. H. Greene
Charles F. Middleton
Samual W. Gore
Kenneth A. Corn
David G. Woodie
2 Timothy 4:1-2
1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.1